August 02, 2015

♫ Remembering the 70s ♫: SAMBA PA TI – Santana (Latin American/Rock)

Remember this one? SAMBA PA TI by Santana? It was released in 1970.



Translated into English as “Samba For You”, this classic slow-burning piece by the Latin rock band, Santana, is a legendary instrumental featured on their Abraxas album which starts off slow and mellow then flows into an extended play out in a faster tempo – a classic example of what this band is all about blending a truly unique mix of Latin American, Blues and Rock style influences.



Santana was founded in San Francisco during the late 1960s by Carlos Santana as a vehicle for his compositions and guitar style. The band first came to widespread public attention when their performance of “Soul Sacrifice” at Woodstock in 1969 provided a contrast to other acts on the bill. This exposure helped propel their first album, also named Santana, into a hit, followed in the next two years by the successful Abraxas and Santana III.

  • Carlos Santana told Mojo magazine November 2008 that he felt that this was his first recording when he was truly able to express himself. He explained: “I remember being alone one evening- until then when I heard my records it was like seeing myself in the mirror and there was no me there, only a lot of other guitarists’ faces: B.B., George Benson, Peter Green. That evening I heard Samba Pa Ti on the radio and I looked in the mirror and it was my face, my tone, my fingerprints, my identity, my uniqueness. Because when I recorded it I was thinking of nothing, it was just pure feeling. I have a suspicion it came from stuff bottled up inside me, that I didn’t know how to express or articulate. I get angry because, ‘Why can’t I say what I really mean?’ Then Samba Pa To comes out of me. And everybody understands it.” 




The year is 1970…

The world population was around 3,691,172,616.
  • On January 4, an earthquake of 7.7 Richter magnitude scale in Tonghai County, Yunnan province, China, killed at least 15,621. The first episode of United States soap opera All My Children is broadcast on the ABC television network on January 5. 
  • January 14 – Diana Ross and The Supremes perform their farewell live concert together at the Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas. Ross’s replacement, Jean Terrell, is introduced onstage at the end of the last show.
  • January 15 – After a 32-month fight for independence from Nigeria, Biafran forces under Philip Effiong formally surrender to General Yakubu Gowon.
  • January 20 – The Greater London Council announces its plans for the Thames Barrier at Woolwich to prevent flooding (the barrier opens in 1981).
  • January 21 – Five lifeboatmen are killed when a Fraserburgh, Scotland vessel, The Duchess of Kent, capsizes and...
  • Pan American Airways offers the first commercially scheduled 747 service from John F. Kennedy International Airport to London Heathrow Airport.
  • January 23 – Joseph Fielding Smith becomes the 10th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
  • January 26 – Mick Jagger is fined £200 for possession of cannabis, and on
  • February 1 and 10 respectively, a train collision near Buenos Aires, Argentina kills 236 and an avalanche at Val-d’Isère, France kills 39 tourists.
… just to name a few of the happenings during the earlier part of 1970. As for some of the movies released that year:


  • Love Story
  • Airport
  • MASH
  • Patton
  • Woodstock
  • The Aristocats
  • Little Big Man
  • Ryan’s Daughter
  • Tora! Tora! Tora!
  • Chariots of the Gods


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...