“Let It Ride” is a 1974 single by the Canadian rock group from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, written by Randy Bachman and Fred Turner, with the latter providing lead vocals. The song peaked at #23 on the Billboard Hot 100.
The song was inspired by a traffic jam their tour bus was in. The bus had been boxed in by a couple of trucks. When the band got off at a truck stop, they confronted the drivers of the trucks, whose response was that they should take it easy and just let it ride.
The song was covered by Canadian rock band Big Sugar on their 1998 album, Heated. The song was also covered by Canadian country music group Farmer’s Daughter on their 1998 album This Is the Life. Their version was released as a single in 1999 and peaked at number 30 on the RPM Country Tracks chart in Canada.
The year is 1974...
The world population was around 3,995,304,922.
- The General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon makes its first flight at Edwards Air Force Base, California. (Jan. 20)
- Bülent Ecevit, of CHP forms the new government of Turkey (37th government, partner MSP). (Jan. 26)
- Fire breaks out in the Joelma Building in São Paulo, Brazil; 177 die, 293 are injured, 11 die later of their injuries. (Feb. 01)
- Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, is declared a Federal Territory. (Feb. 01)
- Heiress Patty Hearst, is kidnapped outside her Berkeley, California apartment by the Symbionese Liberation Army. (Feb. 04)
- After a record 84 days in orbit, the crew of Skylab 4 returns to Earth. (Feb. 08)
- A soccer stampede occurs in Cairo, killing 49. (Feb. 17)
And these are just a few of the things that occurred in the early part of 1974. Some movies released that year included:
- The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. the Monster Army (Urutora Roku Kyōdai tai Kaijū Gundan) - (Japan/Thailand)
- 11 Harrowhouse, starring Charles Grodin, Candice Bergen, James Mason
- 36 Ghante, starring Raaj Kumar and Sunil Dutt - (India)
- 99 and 44/100% Dead, starring Richard Harris, Ann Turkel, Edmond O'Brien, Chuck Connors
- Aap Ki Kasam, starring Rajesh Khanna and Mumtaz - (India)
- Abby, starring William Marshall
- Acting Hamlet in the Village of Mrdusa Donja (Predstava Hamleta u Mrduši Donjoj) - (Yugoslavia)
- Aina (The Mirror) - (Pakistan)
- Airport 1975, starring Charlton Heston, Karen Black, George Kennedy, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., Susan Clark, Helen Reddy, Myrna Loy, Gloria Swanson
- Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Angst essen Seele auf), directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder - (West Germany)
- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Ellen Burstyn, Kris Kristofferson, Harvey Keitel, Alfred Lutter, Jodie Foster