Remember this one - DO YOU REALLY WANT TO HURT ME by Culture Club? I sure do! I remember thinking how unique Boy George was at the time - the way he sang, the way he dressed. His lyrics made no sense to me sometimes but I didn't care because the rhythm did it for me.
|L-R: Jon Moss, Boy George, Mikey Craig and Roy Hay|
The song rose quickly in the UK charts after the group's first appearance on Top of the Pops. In 2007, Boy George said that the song was "not just about Culture Club's drummer Jon Moss, my boyfriend at the time. It was about all the guys I dated at that time in my life."
The year is 1982...
The world population was around 4,608,962,418.
- The Commodore 64 8-bit home computer is launched by Commodore International in Las Vegas (released in August); it becomes the all-time best-selling single personal computer model.
- Shortly after takeoff, Air Florida Flight 90 crashes into Washington, D.C.'s 14th Street Bridge and falls into the Potomac River, killing 78. On the same day, a Washington Metro train derails to the north, killing 3 (the system's first fatal accident).
- Wave of Terrorist attacks in France by Carlos the Jackal.
- Unemployment in the United Kingdom increases by 129,918 to 3,070,621, a post-war record number.
- The first computer virus, the Elk Cloner, written by 15-year old Rich Skrenta, is found. It infects Apple II computers via floppy disk and
- The Falklands War begins: Argentina invades and occupies the Falkland Islands.
And these are just a few of the things that happened that year. It was a great year for movies. Some of the movies released in 1982:
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
- An Officer and a Gentleman
- Rocky III
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- 48 Hrs.
- The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
- Blade Runner
- Swamp Thing and one of my all time faves, The Thing. There were tons more! A great year for movies indeed!